Not long ago a friend
of mine showed me this
wonderful journey, which brought back
so many memories
of days gone by...
I thank the author, whom I am unable to
name for sharing this... I added a few memories of my own..
So, close your eyes... Take the stroll...
And go back...
I'm talkin' bout, hide and go seek at dusk.....
- Sittin' on the porch,
- Simon Says,
- Kick the Can,
- Red light, Green light
- Chocolate milk,
- Going home for lunch,
- Penny candy from the store,
- Skates with keys,
- Mother May I?
- Hula Hoops and Sunflower seeds,
- Old Maid and Crazy Eights,
- Wax lips and mustaches,
- Mary Janes,
- Saddle Shoes,
- Coke bottles with the names of cities on the bottom,
- Running through the sprinkler,
- Sittin' on the curb,
- Staring at clouds,
- Bobby pins,
- Mickey Mouse Club, Crusader Rabbit, Rocky & Bullwinkle,
Kukla, Fran & Ollie, Spin & Marty...all in black & white.
- When around the corner seemed far away,
and going downtown seemed like going somewhere,
- Climbing trees,
- Making forts,
- A coaster made from orange crates and an old skate,
- Backyard shows,
- Lemonade stands,
- Cops and Robbers,
- Cowboys and Indians,
- Jumpin' down the steps,
- Jumping on the bed,
- Pillow fights,
- When the milkman delivered milk in a bottle on your
- Ribbon candy,
- Angel hair on the Christmas tree,
- Jackie Gleason as "the poor soul",
- Red Skelton
- White gloves,
- Walking to church,
- Walking to the Community Center,
- Being tickled to death,
- Running till you were out of breath,
- Laughing so hard that your stomach hurt,
- Being tired from playin'.....Remember that?
- Not steppin' on the crack....or you'll break your
- Paper chains at Christmas,
- Silhouettes of Lincoln and Washington,
- The smell of paste,
- Crowding around in a circle for the "after-school
running when the teacher came,
- What about the girl that had the big bubbly handwriting....who
her "i's" with hearts???
- The Stroll,
- Popcorn balls & sock hops,
- Lunch Boxes with a Thermos (that broke)
- When there were two types of sneakers for girls and
boys (Keds & PF Flyer) and the only time you wore them at school
was for "gym"....And the girls had to wear those ugly uniforms.
- When it took five minutes for the TV to warm up,
- When nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids
got home from school,
- When a quarter was a decent allowance, and another
quarter a huge bonus,
- When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny,
- When girls neither dated nor kissed until late high
school, if then,
- When your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces
(or when you did!)
- When all of your male teachers wore neckties and
female teachers had their hair done everyday and wore high heels,
- When you got your windshield cleaned, oil checked,
and gas pumped, without asking, for free, everytime... and, you didn't
pay for air..... and, you got trading stamps to boot!
- When nobody owned a pure bred dog
- When laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or
towels hidden inside the box,
- When a parent could discipline any kid, or feed him
or use him to carry groceries, and nobody, not even the kid, thought
a thing of it.
- When they threatened to keep kids back a grade if
they failed.......and did!
- When the worst thing you could do at school was smoke
in the bathrooms, flunk a test or chew gum,
- When a '57 Chevy was everyon's dream car.... to cruise,
peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races,
- When people went steady and girls wore a class ring
with an inch of adhesive tape so it would fit,
- And no one ever asked where the car keys were 'cause
they were always in the car, in the ignition and the doors were never
- And you got in big trouble if you accidentally locked
the doors at home. No one ever had a key,
- When stuff from the store came without safety caps
and hermetic seals ' cause no one had yet tried to poison a perfect
- And playing baseball with no adults to help kids
with the rules of the game. Then.....baseball was not a psychological
group learning experience, it was a game.
And...with all our progress...
don't you just wish.....just once...
you could slip back in time and savor the
slower pace.... and share it with the children
of the 80's and 90's....
So send this on to someone who can
still remember Nancy Drew,
The Hardy Boys,
Trixie Belden, Laurel & Hardy,Howdy Doody and
The Peanut Gallery,
The Lone Ranger, The Shadow knows.... Nellie Bell,
I Love Lucy, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk.....
- As well as the sound of a reel mower on Saturday
- Playing in Cowboy land,
- Baseball games,
- Bowling and visits to the pool,
- And eating Kool-aid powder with sugar,
- And summers filled with bike rides,
When being sent to the principal's
office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving
student at home.
Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of
drive by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc.
Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat!
But we all survived because their love was greater than the threat.
Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say,
"Yeah, I remember that!"
More wonderful reflections can be found at